Monday's Super Heroines

It is 7 a.m. in the morning. My brother is already in Solo together with the birthday gift for the girlfriend.

I accompanied my brother hunting for a birthday gift once I was done with my things.  It was like a blind man led another blind man. I am bad at picking birthday gift. I am always clueless. I heard there's a rule of what-to-give and what-not-to-give when it comes to birthday gifts for our boyfriend or girlfriend. 

“Why don’t you buy her a tee?” I thought that was a practical idea.

“A tee is a bad idea. It’s like saying good bye,” my brother replied.

I am sure that’s a myth, right? Oh, what do I know?!

The only thing I was sure of on Monday evening was my English class. Yeah, I have an English class in which I am the teacher. Are you surprised? Well, it surprises me sometimes… This is the photo of my students; Ella, Anin and Lois (left to right)


I always make sure our class is fun but a fun class is not enough for me. I realized it last week. I want my class to be an inspiring fun class. I am not a motivational guru but I believe it’s a good thing to motivate and empower each other while learning English.

“People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing. That’s why we recommend it daily.” – Zig Ziglar –
This Monday I picked a video from Thailand. It’s an ad actually—insurance ad—but I found it perfect for our discussion session.


After watching the above video, I asked my students what they can learn from it and I asked them, “If you were a super hero, what super hero would you be?”

Their answers were beyond my expectation. I thought they would imagine themselves as a super heroine such as Catwoman, Elektra, Sailor Moon, or Wonder Woman. I was totally wrong.



Lois said she wanted to be Indonesian Oprah Winfrey. If she were her, she would have created a program to save orangutans in Borneo. I can understand this. Lois is from Borneo.


Ella stated she would be a super heroine called Smiley Woman. Her mission would be spreading happiness wherever she goes. She believes there’s a power in a smile. A smile might change somebody’s day, which I totally agree.

“Every time you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing.” – Mother Teresa –
Super Mother is a super heroine Anin chose to be. Being a mother, we need to be a powerful woman. We should be able to protect and take care of the children well and Anin saw the super heroine figure within her mom. Her mother is her inspiration.

That’s what I got from my Monday class. What do you think of the video I put here? What super hero are you? 

You Might Also Like

0 Comments